Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The waiting game

As of today, I'm 37 weeks and two days along. According to everyone I've talked to, I'm officially "full term" at this point, which is cool! I'm feeling...decent. :) Over the last two weeks I've been dwelling on the fear factor associated with labor-the pain, the issues that could come up, the unknown. But now, at this point, as I'm feeling like all of baby's clothes are washed, all of his 'equipment' (bassinet, crib, glider, swing, etc.) is assembled, our bags are packed, relaxing music has been downloaded for labor, and so on, my mind is starting to change. Being pregnant is one of the coolest, most unique blessings a person can experience. But I'm getting to the point where I'm feeling more ready to meet our guy. I am SO curious about what he looks like, what his little personality will shape up to be, to see DH interacting with his son. I also wouldn't mind not feeling like I'm hauling a giant sack of rocks around my middle, or the back ache either. :)
I am really trying to cherish these last few days and weeks with my hubby, though. I don't want to wish away our final days as "just the two of us." I am a bit sad and scared that this twosome time is about to be over, because it has been absolutely incredible. We have traveled all over the world, thrown parties and get togethers for friends and family, and grown together so much. I know that the next chapter is also going to be incredible, but there is the "unknown factor" that always exists with change that can be a bit frightening. We have been spending a lot of time together the last few weeks, just talking about everything under the sun, watching movies, and just enjoying each other's company. I know my husband is a sweet man, but his sweet side has come out even more over the last few weeks. He's started just spontaneously saying these surprising, touching things to me, seemingly out of nowhere. This time together has been lovely, and I wouldn't trade it for the world.
The other interesting thing I realized today-I've actually been having some BH contractions. I've noticed my belly feeling really hard now and then throughout the day, as well as some, ahem, pressure (down there!). I thought the belly hardness was just baby's body pushing out because he's running out of room. But as I looked back through my childbirth class notes and talked to my sister, I think these are actually BH contractions. WHOA! The other bit of news- (I think I've shared that I'm a "high risk" pregnancy because of a heart condition I have. Pregnancy has been fine and my heart has done absolutely beautifully so far, thank God!) But this week I've noticed a few short (10 sec) fast heart beats, being a little bit more out of breath than normal, etc. Doc asked that I let them know if this starts happening, because it may mean it's time to pick an induction date. I go to see the doc tomorrow, so we'll update him then. I have been praying to avoid an induction, because I think it's usually best when baby and your body kick in to labor naturally. At the very least, if he wants me to pick an induction date soon, I hope he'll let us wait until early next week when my sister will be here, and my mom will be back from out of town. Anyways, that's the latest! Going to try to post a 37 week picture soon, if I can. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment