Thursday, November 4, 2010

Approaching 3 months...



I can't believe Patrick is almost three months old! (He'll be 3 months on the 7th.) Every day I look at him and am just amazed at how BIG he seems to be compared to the little bug we brought home from the hospital. As we are approaching this milestone of sorts, I realize that it is coming time for Patrick to sleep in his own room, in his crib. For now he's been in our room, in his Fisher Price Newborn Rock and Play sleeper. He loves it, and so do I. He has just gotten used to taking naps in it, after I lined it with a fuzzy/fleece type blanket. He is addicted to that kind of material. I got the idea after I noticed him stroking the fuzzy part of his swing by his head as he was drifing off to sleep one day. Also, I've been making sure to give him his "lovey" blanket- fleece on one side, satin on the other, with a monkey attached to it. He will rub this lovey against his face and even pull it over his head to get himself to sleep. This still makes me nervous, but the blanket is small and thin, and he can still breathe well with it like this. I'm incredibly nervous and a little sad about starting him in his crib. It's been such a comfort to me to be able to turn over in bed and see his sweet little face, or hear him giggle in his sleep. It's also very convenient for night nursing- I can just pick him up, nurse, and put him back. I don't even have to get out of bed. Once in the crib, I'll have to walk halfway across the house to nurse him. One of my hopes is that by moving him to his own room, he'll begin to go for longer stretches between nursing. At 11 pounds, he's a little big/old to be nursing every two hours as he does most nights. Mostly I figure he does that because he's accustomed, and because it's comforting. I'm also a little scared because the bed he has now is on an incline, which helps immensely with his spitting up. He has spit up much less after eating since we put him in this bed than when he was sleeping flat in the bassinet. I'm hoping if I burp him well enough after each feeding, this won't be a problem. I think my goal for having him in his crib for the majority of his naps and bedtime is Dec. 1. I'm not sure how well I'll do with this goal, especially since we may have a long weekend or two away between now and then, which means he'll be back sleeping in the Rock and Play for those trips. As much as I've enjoyed having Patrick in our room with us, I think if we're blessed with any more children, I may just start them off in their crib from the beginning. It may mean that I sleep in the baby's room on a twin bed or something, but maybe it'll be easier to adjust to sleeping in the crib if they start out that way!

No comments:

Post a Comment