Monday, February 7, 2011

8 Week Sugar Detox- WHUCK?!

Sigh. I've got to do something. I know, in my heart of hearts, that I'm not eating like I should. I try to stick to a "healthy" diet, but I'm starting to feel like it's not good enough. I've been reading so much about whole foods, vitamins, and organic living lately and a part of me is wondering if this is a path I should try to take. The Wiz (my new nickname for DH; get it, Yellow Brick Road, Wizard? Oh, never mind) and I have been struggling with keeping and staying healthy for what seems like a long time. He is a meat, potatoes, cheeseburger, wings, pizza lover. Me? I.love.sugar. We have had some success in the past, only to fall of the wagon again and again. But the stakes are higher now. Now, we have our little Munchkin. Not only do we need to be around for him, but I feel a HUGE sense of responsibility to feed him healthy foods and to teach him how to live a healthy life style. I recently Twittered my way to a new blog, Naturally Knocked Up, and I was fascinated! Because, beyond living healthily every day, I've also struggled a bit with fertility (it took the Wiz and I a year to conceive, I had issues with hormone levels-check out some bits and pieces of our story-). Also, at 29 years old, with my first pregnancy and no family history, I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I had a manageable case, but the fact remains that I'm more likely to develop it with future pregnancies, and I'm more at risk for Type 2 Diabetes later in life. The Wizard and I would love, love, love to have (at least) one more precious baby, and if I can find natural ways to improve our collective fertility and avoid diabetes, I'm all for it.
A part of Naturally Knocked Up's blog is an 8 week sugar detox. As in, the end result being *off* sugar. Gulp. Like I said, I love sugar. It tastes soooo good. It makes me happy. I enjoy dessert. I savor my coffee creamer, cookies at Christmas, chocolate.............but something must.be.done. So, here it is. I'm going to attempt Naturally's 8 week Sugar Detox. I am making NO promises about my success, but I'm definitely going to try my best. I plan on chronicling my plight, er, journey to a healthier lifestyle, so check back with me! Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment