Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Letter to my Heavenly Father

Dear Father,
Yesterday I went to Daily Mass again. You know-we talked quite a bit before Mass started. The reading from Samuel struck me. I was amazed at how Hannah's story parallels my own in places. She prayed and prayed for a child, and DH and I prayed for a child as well. You blessed her with a child, and now I'm pregnant, too. Then came the part in Samuel where Hannah takes her child, Samuel, to the temple to be dedicated to You. She promises Eli that Samuel will be consecrated to You all the days of his life, and she leaves him with Eli, the priest at Shiloh, and visited him yearly after that. You blessed her faithfulness after that with many more sons and daughters. I just want you to know, Father, that like Hannah, I commit to raising this child and any other children to be a part of your Kingdom. The times and place I live are a bit different than Hannah's, so I will do this in different ways than she did, but my goal is the same. I will teach this child about You, even as I am still learning about You. I will show him or her Your love, mercy, and what grace is. I will share with my child the stories of Your child, and his life of extraordinary love and sacrifice. I will show my child with my actions what it means to truly give, what patience means, and what it means to have servant's heart. My child, DH and I will celebrate your creation, your sacraments and the gifts you bestow on your people. I will teach my child how to talk to you, openly and honestly, how to listen to you, and how to obey you. I will share what it means to lay all his burdens at the foot of the cross and to trust in Your plan for him. In short, I will do everything I can to raise my child to be a godly man or woman, who serves, loves and trusts you. DH and I won't be able to do it alone, but will rely on your help and intercession to lead us in this greatest of tasks. But please know, Father, that we realize that this child is Your child, first and foremost. We will work daily to return this child to you by teaching him or her about his creator. We will also work daily to continue our spiritual walk. I know I am promising a lot, and I think I know what an incredible undertaking it will be. We will be working against our own humanness, and the humanness of our child to try and make ourselves more like you. I ask you now, in all humility and awe, that you bless our plans and walk with us each step of the way. Provide us with opportunities to discuss our faith with our child and children, to share our walk, and to speak openly and honestly as a family. Keep us strong when we only feel defeated and weak. Allow us to feel and see your presence regularly, and to appreciate all you've done for us. We love you so much, Father.
Sincerely,
An Expectant Mother

No comments:

Post a Comment